* that his words echo and return in the mind, in a way more expected of a poet. Try a sample quotation or two
* that his novel The Hill of Dreams is perhaps the finest exploration ever written of the theme of the accursed artist.
* that he was a major figure in the decadence of 1890s London.
* that his 1914 short story "The Bowmen" gave rise to the World War One legend of The Angels of Mons.
* that his achievement should rank alongside far better known contemporaries, such as Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Robert Louis Stevenson or Oscar Wilde.
The Friends of Arthur Machen (FoAM) is a fellowship which exists to foster interest in Machen and his work, to aid research, and for the pleasure of its members.
This site is maintained by Dr Adrian Eckersley, who is interested in all aspects of Machen's life and work. Your comments, news, suggestions and interactions are welcome. Email address below: but you have to unscramble the spam trap by removing xxx ie. so domain name reads "eckersleyadrian"-